Ulta Nail FX Kit
Yesterday we headed up to Indy for Iron Man 3 and I stopped at Ulta on the way back.
I discovered this intriguing set of top coats for $15. I'll confess I specifically wanted it because it claimed to have a holographic top coat. These are full-sized bottles so for $15, that's a pretty good deal.
Their web site says:
Set includes 4 topcoats with benefits ranging from extended wear, increased shine, and intensified color. Choose from matte, smokey and holographic finishes.
Here's what the box says:
- Color Enhancing topcoat - Brightens and intensifies any nail enamel. Pops in direct sunlight and glows under black light.
- Matte topcoat - Create a matte effect when applied over any shade.
- Holographic topcoat - Futuristic rainbow holographic effect when used alone. Silvery holographic frost when used over any colored nail enamel.
- Smokey topcoat - Gives any shade of polish a dark smokey effect. Extends wear and increases shine.
Here's a swatch of one coat on Julep's "Rose".
- Thumb = no top coat
- Index finger = color enhancing -- this one doesn't seem to do a whole lot but I didn't try it under a black light and I didn't try it in direct sunlight.
- Middle finger = holographic -- nice effect but it does partially cover the underlying color. I'd expected it to be a little more sheer than it is.
- Ring finger = matte -- disappointing matte effect compared to every other matte top coat I've tried.
- Pinky finger = smokey - Darkens the color. Supposedly makes it shinier and last longer? I didn't notice extra shine, mostly because its darker than the original color. And I didn't leave it on long enough to test the durability.
Findings:As I mentioned, this was only $15 for 4 bottles. It's a pretty good value.
Though I'm a bit disappointed the matte wasn't better with one coat but the holographic top coat probably makes up for that.